Before & After School Programs
PEER (Phoenix Elementary Enrichment Resources) is a before and after school program provided at no cost to students of working parents enrolled in Phoenix Elementary School District #1. PEER provides a safe, enriching and fun environment for our students beyond the classroom. It serves students between the hours of 6:30 or 7:00 am and 6:00 pm (before and after school based on the bell times at each school). PEER is also open during spring and fall breaks and during the summer months. In fact, the only times that PEER is not available to students is during the winter break and approximately eight days in the summer.
The programs and activities in PEER are designed to include sports, recreation, arts, music, culture and academics to develop "the whole child" even beyond the regular school day, during fall/spring breaks and during the summer months.
Cultural Camps and Thematic Programs at PEER are incredibly popular with the students and parents. During the week of fall and spring break or the summer program, when school is not in session, PEER students have a very unique opportunity to participate in special programs. A Chinese Cultural Camp, Native American Cultural Camp and marine life camp known as Under the Sea, are examples of programs offered each year. These programs provide lifetime memories for PEER students, as well as academic, social and emotional growth.
Seventh and eighth grade students in PEER have the opportunity to participate in sports programs. For the 2011-12 school year three sports programs will be offered. Integrated into the sport program, are the tenets of character building that include: trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring and citizenship.
For more information regarding PEER, please check with your school office or call 602-523-5757.
Parents love PEER because they know their children are safe and happy. In fact, may parents report that their children enjoy it so much that they do not want to leave.
What Children Say About PEER
Here's what PEER students have to say about the program when asked these three questions:
- Why do you like PEER?
- What is your favorite activity in PEER?
- How do you feel about the PEER staff?
Kassidy Gonzales, Kindergarten
- It's fun and I like all the different friends and classes.
- Drawing and making dancing people in art.
- I like all the teachers because they are really nice to me and they play with us.
Zenaida Lazoya, 7th Grade
- I like it because it gives me something to do over the summer. It gives me a chance to hang out with my friends from other schools. I like all the classes we have, the themes and the field trips.
- My favorite activity is P.E. it is really competitive.
- I feel that the PEER staff is fair and awesome to be with, they are fun and understanding.
Emma Esquivel, 2nd Grade
- PEER is fun because we paint and make stuff and have more field trips than the school.
- Learning about the seven wonders of the natural world.
- They are really nice and real fun.
Julia Ruiz, 5th Grade
- Because I've made friends over the year. To see them again is fun and see how much they have changed.
- Playing in the Gym and Media Center. In the Media Center we made these blogs about the seven wonders which was a lot of fun.
- I pretty much like all of them so far.
Toby Guerra, 5th Grade
- PEER is fun because we have field trips.
- I like to do partner projects like making shoebox aquariums.
- They are nice and cool.
Here's what parents have to say about PEER.
"The PEER Afterschool Program is an awesome program and has an incredible leadership team. The leader, Curtis Johnson, was actually a PEER student himself many years ago. He has grown in the program over the past 12 years and became the leader just three years ago. It has done a great job with the Afterschool Program. He knows what is needed due to his own experiences, and he hires on the best people to work with the students. My daughter's PEER leader is leaving this year, and we are very sad about that. But, I know that Curtis will hire only the best for the children.
I can trust the PEER leaders to take great care of my children, and I know my children feel safe in the program, too. I have one daughter in the program now, and often times she doesn't even want to leave when I pick her up.
I am amazed by the different activities and opportunities the children can participate in, and they have great field trips, too, especially in the summer program."
"The PEER Program at Kenilworth School in Phoenix Elementary School District #1 is a big reason why I have chosen to enroll my child at the school. PEER is a safe and fun place for children beyond the normal school hours, during intersession and over the summer break.
As a working parent, it is really important to know that my child is safe and that she is also enjoying herself.
The social interaction, dance, arts, academics and the various opportunities provided, give children lots of options to learn and grow.
I am thankful to have such a great free, afterschool program."