Dear Phoenix #1 Families;
As we adapt to the constant changes around us, something you can continue to expect is our on-going support of your children, our students. Although our staff would love to be in the classroom, we are working to create solutions to provide ongoing learning and support. We are pleased to be able to deliver student learning out of the physical classrooms and into our new virtual learning environment in your homes!
Students will receive instruction, video lessons, practice, and most importantly, a connection to their teachers and schools. We are proud of our teachers’ adaptability and commitment to continue the learning, and this will be even more successful with your support. We know that balancing work, family, and school isn’t easy even in more peaceful times, and we are grateful for whatever levels of support you are able to provide to your children at this time. Please take a few moments to review our plan and continue to reach out to schools and teachers as needed so we can finish out this school year together—healthy and educated!
Phase I includes:
- Google Classroom – The Starting Point for Lessons. Students will receive core (ELA, Math, Science, and Social Studies) and Special Areas instruction through Google Classroom. Students can expect to find lessons and links to other resources and online programs there. Some content areas will be phased in over the course of two weeks to allow time for students to get comfortable with the Google Classroom.
- A Focus on Core Skills. We recognize that nothing fully replaces what is done in the classroom and that students are adjusting to more independent learning. Computer programs will provide video support and practice, and our teachers will supplement with more direct lessons, time, and guidance.
- All-day Access. Your school will provide a schedule for students to participate in classes and reach out for support. Virtual learning may be most effective when students follow a routine schedule and have interaction with their teachers and peers, but we know this is not always possible. For families, this means students can watch videoed lessons or complete assignments when it is most convenient for them and their parents. Do what works best for your family.
- Live Chats & Recorded Lessons. In addition to online programming, students will have opportunities to watch lesson videos when it is more convenient for the family. At times, a teacher may want to also meet with small groups of students. In that case, if possible, it would be helpful if you can arrange for your child to have a computer available to them at the scheduled time.
- Students should login each day to check for assignments and instructions from the teacher.
- Complete assigned work.
- Reach out to teachers for additional support as needed.
How can you help?
- Ensure that your child is checking their Google Classroom daily.
- Ensure that your child is completing work for each of their core classes each week.
- Ensure that your child is completing all required assignments and submitting these to their teacher in a timely manner.
- Encourage your child to reach out to their teacher if they have any questions or concerns or need any extra help!
Thank you for your support and guidance of your child’s learning!
If you have any questions, please reach out to your child’s teacher first. For further information, please email CommunityRelations@PhxSchools.org.