Tax Credit

Photo of four students playing brass instruments

A Great Way to Support the Students of Our District

Arizona allows each state taxpayer to donate up to $200 per year to public schools in support of extracurricular activities and claim a dollar-for-dollar state tax credit. Married couples filing joint tax returns may donate and claim a tax credit of up to $400 per year. Those who are married and filing separately qualify for a $200 maximum state tax credit.

It allows you to reduce the amount of your tax liability to the state or increase your refund from the state. For example, if you donate $200, your state tax credit will be $200. When you file your taxes in the spring, your state tax bill will be $200 less, or if you are receiving a refund it will be $200 more. Either way, you are sending dollars directly to the school of your choice instead of the Arizona Revenue Service.

Your donation will be used to provide money for extracurricular activities such as field trips, after school tutoring, intramural activities and more.

Please consider making your tax credit contribution to our schools. You can make your donation online at this website, send us a check in the mail or call us.

The easiest way to submit your tax credit is online.
Common Questions
Who can make a contribution?
We can accept contributions only from individuals. We cannot accept contributions from businesses or corporations.
Do I have to have children enrolled in school?
No. Any Arizona individual paying state income tax can make a tax credit contribution to be used toward extracurricular activities.
Do I have to live within the District?
No. Any individual who pays Arizona State income tax can contribute.
Do I have to donate the full $200 or $400?
No. And, we appreciate any amount. Please remember, you can take this credit on any tax liability for state income taxes up to $200 on an individual tax return or $400 on a joint return. You may donate up to your $200 or $400 limit in installments during the calendar year or donate it at one time.
How does this work on my tax return?
As an example, lets say you made a $200 tax credit contribution. When you file your state taxes, you will note the credit with a 322 form. (downloadable from the State.) If your State tax return calculates to a $500 refund, applying the credit will increase your refund to $700. If your State tax return calculates to a $400 liability (you owe) then applying the credit will reduce your liability to $200. However, you cannot receive a refund greater than your State income tax assessment for the tax year.
Can a taxpayer receive a refund of these credits?
No. The credits may only be used to the extent they reduce a tax liability to zero on your Arizona tax return. Any unused amounts may be carried forward for not more than five consecutive taxable years.
Previous Next
Test Caption
Test Description goes like this