PEER (Phoenix Elementary Enrichment Resources) is a before and after school program provided at no cost to students of working parents in Phoenix Elementary School District #1. PEER provides a safe, enriching and fun environment for our students beyond the classroom. It serves students between the hours of 6:30 am or 7:00 am and 6:00 pm (before and after school based on the bell times at each school). PEER is also open during spring and fall breaks and during the summer months. In fact, the only times that PEER is not available to students is during the winter break and approximately eight days in the summer.
Cultural Camps and Thematic Programs at PEER are incredibly popular with the students and parents. During the week of fall and spring break or the summer program, when school is not in session, PEER students often have the unique opportunity to participate in special programs such as A Chinese Cultural Camp, Native American Cultural Camp, a marine life camp known as Under the Sea, or Put Your Wild On, provided by Liberty Wildlife. These are just a few examples of our unique programs that provide lifetime memories for PEER students, as well as academic, social and emotional growth.
Fifth and sixth grade students in PEER have the opportunity to participate in the following sports camps:
- The Hoopsters Club – Boys Basketball
- The Volley Club – Girls Volleyball
- The Young Sluggers Club – Co-Ed Slow Pitch
- The Kickers Club – Co-Ed Soccer
Seventh and eighth grade students in PEER have the opportunity to participate in the following sports programs:
- Co-ed Soccer
- Co-ed Slow Pitch
- Boys Basketball
- Girls Volleyball
Integrated into the sports program, are the tenets of character building that include: trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring and citizenship.
For more information regarding PEER, please check with your school office or call 602-523-5757.
Parents love PEER because they know their children are safe and happy. In fact, may parents report that their children enjoy it so much that they do not want to leave.
What Children Say About PEER
Here’s what PEER students have to say about the program when asked these three questions:
- Why do you like PEER?
- What is your favorite activity in PEER?
- How do you feel about the PEER staff?
- It’s fun and I like all the different friends and classes.
- Drawing and making dancing people in art.
- I like all the teachers because they are really nice to me and they play with us.
- I like it because it gives me something to do over the summer. It gives me a chance to hang out with my friends from other schools. I like all the classes we have, the themes and the field trips.
- My favorite activity is physical education.
- I feel that the PEER staff is fair and awesome to be with, they are fun and understanding.
- PEER is fun because we paint and make stuff and have more field trips than the school.
- Learning about the Seven Wonders of the World.
- They are really nice and real fun.
- Because I’ve made friends over the year, and I get to see them again and see how much they have changed.
- Playing in the Gym and Media Center. In the Media Center we made these blogs about the Seven Wonders of the World. It was a lot of fun!
- I pretty much like all of them so far.
- PEER is fun because we have field trips and have special programs.
- I like to do partner projects like making shoebox aquariums.
- They are nice and cool.