Student Wellness

thumbnail (11)

At Emerson Elementary School, we have a student health office staffed with a full-time nurse. To support our students in all areas of healthy development, we also have a full-time social worker and school psychologist. Speech and language services as well as occupational therapy services are also provided to qualifying students.

First Aid Care

The student health office will provide first aid care for students who become ill or injured during the school day. If your child is too ill to remain in school, you will be notified to pick up your child. Staff members are not permitted to transport students. In the case of a serious illness or injury, emergency services will be called to respond. We encourage you to notify the student health office of any special health needs that may arise. For complete information regarding student health and school district protocol, please read The Handbook for Student Success.

When to Keep Your Child at Home

Regular and consistent attendance is critical for your child’s progress in all areas. It is also important to maintain a healthy environment in the classroom. A good measure for keeping your child out of school for the day is if your child has a fever or is vomiting. If they wake up in the morning, not feeling well but do not have a fever and are not vomiting, please bring them to school. Often once children have breakfast and get into the learning routine of the day, they feel better and are able to make it through the day. If a child does not feel better, please be assured, they will be evaluated by our school nurse and you will be contacted if further action is required. If you think your child has a contagious situation, please contact the health office for requirements.


Whenever possible, medications should be administered at home. The school health office may administer medication only when a physician’s written order and parent’s written permission are provided. The medication must be delivered in its original container by the parent or guardian to the principal or student health office. Medication authorization forms can be obtained in the school health office. All over the counter medications are required to be administered by the school nurse. Please deliver cough drops, ibuprofen, or any other over the counter pain relievers, labeled with your child’s name to the health office.


If your child has a known allergy to bees, insects or foods, you must alert the school health office and provide the necessary medication and authorization form for emergency treatment.

Asthma Inhalers & EpiPens

Medication authorization forms for Inhalers and EpiPens must be completed and kept on file in the student health office. The physician must indicate if the child may self-administer and carry. Self-administration of medication is permitted for emergency medication only.

For more information read The Handbook for Student Success.

Previous Next
Test Caption
Test Description goes like this