Each year, the Phoenix Elementary School District provides students in 6-8 grades with Family Life instruction, in accordance with state law. With parent permission, your child will receive instruction using the Governing Board approved Family Life curriculum materials from the Choosing the Best and F.L.A.S.H. resources.
Choosing the Best resource is a character education, abstinence-based program that explores these topics:
- Making good decisions
- Goal setting
- Figuring out friendships and relationships
- Avoiding unhealthy relationships
- Consequences of risky sexual choices such as teen pregnancy, STD’s, and/or HIV/AIDS
- Benefits of abstinence until marriage
- Dangers of alcohol
- Setting boundaries and standing up for yourself
F.L.A.S.H. resource explores these topics:
- Puberty (taught in 6th grade)
- Human Reproductive System (taught in 6-8th grades)
- Pregnancy (taught in 7-8th grades)
In accordance with District policy IHAMB-R and Arizona Revised Statue 13-1405, students in grades seven (7) and eight (8) will also be provided instruction on the laws relating to sexual conduct with a minor.
ARS 13-1405. Sexual conduct with a minor; classification
- A person commits sexual conduct with a minor by intentionally or knowingly engaging in sexual intercourse or oral sexual contact with any person who is under eighteen years of age.
- Sexual conduct with a minor who is under fifteen years of age is a class 2 felony and is punishable pursuant to section 13-705. Sexual conduct with a minor who is at least fifteen years of age is a class 6 felony. Sexual conduct with a minor who is at least fifteen years of age is a class 2 felony if the person is or was in a position of trust and the convicted person is not eligible for suspension of sentence, probation, pardon or release from confinement on any basis except as specifically authorized by section 31-233, subsection A or B until the sentence imposed has been served or commuted.
Please use your child’s grade level link below to access the Table of Contents of the Choosing the Best resource used during the course of study.
Please use your child’s grade level link below to access the F.L.A.S.H. resource used during the course of study.
Physical copies of all materials used during Family Life instruction can be viewed any time at the district office located at 1817 North 7th Street, Phoenix, AZ 85006 or at your child’s school.