Dear Phoenix #1 Families & Community;
At Phoenix Elementary School District #1, we believe all students will succeed – no exceptions! STUDENT ATTENDANCE IS VERY IMPORTANT for this to happen and so is family involvement in the education of every child.
That is why it is very important for you to take time to review this handbook that can help us work together to ensure each and every student in our district is successful. I encourage you to read through this handbook carefully and review it as a family with your children.
There are many ways that you can work as a team with your child’s teacher and school to ensure they receive a great education. Here are a few that I want to highlight and recommend to you.
- Engage in your child’s learning, classroom and school. When the school has a back to school night, parent conferences, family nights, or parent education classes, attend and share with your child how important these events are as part of their education. Be sure you know your child’s teacher very well, the principal, the office staff and all those who support your child’s learning.
- Emphasize to your child how important school is and how important it is for their future and life-long opportunities. Talk with your child about goals for school, college and career. Help them understand that what they learn today and how much they engage in school will positively impact them for the rest of their lives.
- Support the expectations your child’s teacher and principal have for learning. Support the teachers and principal as they provide structure and discipline for a safe and healthy learning environment. Help your child understand the importance of paying attention, showing respect to all students and staff and working to be part of a healthy, safe and happy learning environment.
- Set aside a time of day and place in your home for your child to read and complete homework assignments. Learning can take place throughout the day as we are shopping, cooking, cleaning or with just about any activity so make it fun and enjoyable. Set firm expectations that homework will be done.
- Be sure your child is in school every day. Attendance plays a major role when it comes to learning. Children in school every day, learn more and achieve at much higher rates. They are also happier because they understand the content when they don’t miss school days. Please do; however, follow the guidelines from the nurse’s office about when to keep sick children at home for their welfare and the health of all students.
Let’s work together to make this new school the best for your child and all the students in our 14 schools across Phoenix. Your child deserves a great education, and together we can make that a reality. Thanks for your support of Phoenix Elementary School District – we are #1!
Your partner in learning,
Dr. Larry Weeks
Phoenix Elementary School District #1
P.S. I encourage you to contact my office any time throughout the year if you have questions or concerns at 602-257-2912. Please stay in touch with all the school and district news by registering your email on our homepage at phxschools.org. To stay informed of breaking news or emergencies, register your mobile number there, too, for text messages.
District Handbook Downloads